Under Section 849.0935 of the Florida Statutes, a tax-exempt organization may conduct a raffle provided that it conducts the raffle in accordance with the requirements set forth in the statute. The statute requires that any item that promotes that raffle (i.e. any brochure, advertisement, notice, ticket, entry blank, etc. must conspicuously disclose the rules governing the conduct and operation of the drawing. Below are the rules for the 50/50 raffle.
1. The Jacksonville Sharks Foundation is the organization sponsoring this raffle. The Foundation’s principal place of business is 1000 W Bay St, Jacksonville, Florida 32204.
2. The prize to be awarded will be paid for from the raffle proceeds. (Note – the purpose of this item is to disclose the source of funds used to award cash prizes or to purchase prizes as required by the Florida Statute)
3. The prize to be awarded is 50% of the raffle proceeds received.
4. The winner will be selected by drawing, and the prize will be announced at the 10-minute mark of the 4thquarter of the next Jacksonville Sharks Home Game. The winner will be announced on the jumbotron and additionally will be sent a text notifying them.
5. This raffle will be conducted in accordance with the requirements set forth in Section 849.0935 of the Florida Statutes.
6. A payment for a raffle ticket does not qualify as a charitable contribution and is not tax deductible.
7. Jacksonville Sharks Foundation staff members and their family members are not eligible to win.
For any and all questions relating to the raffle, please contact Steve Curran at the Jacksonville Sharks Foundation. The phone number is (904) 621-0700, and the email is email@example.com. The raffle cannot be preconditioned on a certain amount of tickets being sold. Unless the raffle or auction is carried on primarily by volunteers, the earnings will be taxable as unrelated business taxable income.